Thursday 7 July 2016

This week's day in the life of a Deacon!

Couldn't wait to tell you that I met a little white poodle- crossed -with- a -Shitzu ( !?) ) dog at a flat this week. He'd just been clipped so was pristine white and a bit yappy ( whether that was in protest to my coming, or his haircut I don't know ! These difficult pastoral conversations can last anything from forty minutes to over an hour, depending on the folks concerned, their state of mind, and whether they have managed to put together a fitting tribute to their loved one.
Sometimes I have to ask a lot of questions to draw out information, and sometimes, as in one case this year, the daughter of the deceased had kindly typed up a full life story for me to use at the coming funeral service word for word.
Also this week, I went to a semi detached home of a dear couple who are in their nineties and still looking after each other. B had just had an online supermarket delivery! We had a laugh over my last visit, when a "big whig" from Social Work had come to assess how much help they needed, so I made the tea!
B and M sang two of their fave Christian songs from large print hymns that I'd brought with me. And I saw myself out...lovely couple!

No comments:

Post a Comment