Monday 18 July 2016

Monday 18th July
Great sadness to hear of the death of one of the Diaconate's most influential Deacons. I had recently had a long conversation with Moyra MacCallum DCS at June annual conference in Dundee. We were discussing
 " children should be seen and not heard- in church." It was a super conversation with great insights from Moyra from past and present. She will be sorely missed.

Today I hope to visit 3 homes.
 I used to think an hour was a long time for a pastoral visit. I now realise how quickly the time goes and that in an hour, we have barely got started! Sometimes I enjoy a cuppa with the person. Most times I don't
a) Because I don't like anyone to go to any bother for me
b) If it relaxes them, then fine, but too many choccie biscuits is deadly for my muffin tops!
c)Would rather speak to the person face to face and  build our relationship, than have them "faff" about in a kitchen. I take myself to the kitchen anyway, so we can keep chatting and I can help with it if the person is infirm.

One of the visits is to encourage a couple (who have been coming to church for a few years) to finally join the church. I've tried to take out all the "scary" language and make the process as enjoyable and relaxed as possible, whilst sharing with them that they are about to take a big step in making vows to God and the congregation.
Let you know how it went tomorrow. Dot

No comments:

Post a Comment