Thursday 18 May 2017

Why do I always rise to the bait????

Yesterday I had a conversation with my Line Manager about the rights and wrongs, risks and blessings, of being on Facebook where any of your parishioners can see what you do in your spare time, show photos and so on, and so on. I, in my pride, said well I never, or rarely, enter into controvertial discussion topics on Facebook. there are forums for that ( such as the closed one Minister's Forum, where bucks and roes can rutt to their heart's content!?) "But, no, I only put fun things up, or where I've enjoyed and would recommend a film...."
Then today someone had notified me of a particular sermon to watch on youtube. The title alone should have had a red beacon of fire glowing out at me saying "Avoid avoid! Danger! Danger!" What did I do? i listened to the first few sentences then...wallop...straight I fell into a bear bated theological trap of "Commenting"...actually knowing that I might be the only Christian to disagree with this person because their Facebook "friends" would be those lads and lassies who either went to their church, or who would agree with their viewpoint.
So.o.o.o. I have fallen at the first hurdle in my pride, and open a potential tinderbox ..But I couldn't help myself. I was raging!! Why do I always rise to the bait????
On a lighter note- walking round a small district of Mannofield Parish to do Christian Aid collection, I came across a lady from the congregation whom I didn't know. Not hard, I hear you say, since you've only been in post 3 weeks and there are 998 on the roll!!! But I was invited in, and we had tea and a chat. She filled me in on a lot of useful info about the church,and her dear late husband. It was especially joyous cos I had wondered how to fill in my time from early afternoon till 6.15pm when the Alpha parenting course began. (Not enough time to get 2 buses back to my Northfield home base, and too tiring...)
APC was very worthwhile, by the way. There were 3 Iranian Mums included in the number who came.
God is good. Byeeee
PS Will try and blog once a week....

No comments:

Post a Comment