Thursday 11 May 2017

Pastures New...meh! meh bah! ( humbug)

Started new job at Mannofield Parish Church on April 27th, as well as my part time commute between Hamilton and Aberdeen 3/4 nights a week. Enjoying meeting folks and trying to remember faces and names, names and faces. With almost 1000 on the congregational roll, it could take some time!?
This week, in lovely sunny weather, I was invited out to the garden of one of the "flock" and she gave me a big bunch of ....................flowers?
No, rhubarb...delighted...stewed it that evening with maple syrup and ginger...whoop whoop!
This dear wee lady also gave me some  sweet smelling honeysuckle, which I promptly put into water in a toothbrush mug for the kitchen window since my wee home- base ( not the DIY store) is pretty sparse. These wee touches will make a difference. Have also met a local church Session Clerk who lives across the road, so I'll make a bee line for her if I'm feeling lonesome of an evening, especially since I have no tv!?

Found a smashing quote by Maya Angelou that I like " My mission in life is not merely to survive but to thrive, and to do so with passion, some compassion, some humour, and some style!" Hopefully the folks I will be serving for three years, will see this in me....

Oh , one last thing.... I'm truly blessed in this job! why?
For the first time in my Diaconate career, I am in a church where there is
a) A Caretaker ( Jannie)
b) A dedicated office and secretary 4 mornings a week (she's a star, helping me to settle in and much more)
c) I no longer have to buy my own stamps for posting pastoral cards...there's a drawer full of them!?
d) Most people are on email, which makes communication that bit easier and often all in one go ..
And all in a warm modern environment... Thanks God.

No comments:

Post a Comment