Wednesday 19 October 2016

Chicago No more !

Next summer 2017, several Scottish Deacons are going to the Diakonia World Conference which happens every three years or so. This year it's in Chicago USA ( city of Calamity Jane ( the incomparable Doris Day who had a horrific domestic scene but positively glowed on film) )She called it Shicaggie!
Anyway, decided not to go now, though my name was down to go. Not just the cost, but USA has never been a country I'm dying to go to. Canada, where David and I went for our 25th Wedding Anniversary, now that was brilliant!
Today, I visited a top notch Care Home where there was a noticeboard with daily activities, and while I was there, a young volunteer was doing crafty things with some of the residents, and everything smelt fragrant.
Like some of you reading this, you will have been into Homes with varying degrees of cleanliness and atmosphere. My visitee, I could see, was well looked after.
Praise God for the Care Commission who inspect and grade Care Homes now.
Also popped in to see a retired Deacon while I was passing. it was good to catch up with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment