Thursday 24 November 2016

OOps It's been a fortnight since I blogged!

OOps It's been a fortnight since I blogged!
Today I was conducting a funeral over at a local crematorium. It was bright sunshine and crisp frost- just perfect for one of the hymns the family had chosen- "I watch The Sunrise lighting the sky,"with the lovely chorus, "For You are always close to me, following all my ways, Lord" Very emotional and moving for the loved ones, but The Lord helped us through it. I don't think there's anything wrong with showing tears when they are genuine, and today I really felt for the husband and daughter who are left without a wife and Mum.
By the grace of God, one of the nephews said to me privately, "Thanks for the service. I appreciated your style!" He could have meant the informal and personal style of the funeral service OR the fact that I try to lighten the mood with a funny moment. I'd been reading Dorothy Paul's autobography recently, so it felt apt , being an east end funeral, to mention the Glesga Fayre , or "That annual fortnight's holiday from the toil of labour, when folks go "doon the watter, or to Millport!"
Kirk Session meeting tonight. Wonder what that will hold?

No comments:

Post a Comment