Saturday 8 July 2017

Wibblybum....

Wimbledon fortnight- very strange seeing two Eastern European women slogging it out on a tennis court this afternoon. I say "strange" because in another parallel universe I'd be cheering them both on "How come!?  " you say. Well, if my Dad had not become a naturalised British Citizen away back in the 40's, my name would have been "Kolodjinska" since he was born in Poland.

    Anyway before Being a couched spectator of sport on TV, I'd had a real game of badminton with some of the Mannofield crowd. Great getting to kn ow a few. Sundays with 1-200 folks is more daunting still.

     Church Secretary now on holiday for a week. Jean is a wonder- deserving a medal for her people skills as well as her IT knowledge, and lots more. Her experience of church life is invaluable.
Also today, the organist for this week's funeral was on my cell phone, checking hymns for tomorrow. There's a slide presentation of the life of the deceased too, so lots going on. Got a short powerpoint presentation sorted this afternoon too. I LOVE finding appropriate pictures to accompany a sermon- some are straightforward Scripture verses on a coloured background, and others are a bit quirky- like myself. Folks seem to like my "West Coast" sense of humour so far!

"Why so early?" I hear you cry. Your next service isn't for 10 days...ah but, well but, when a funeral may come in at any time, it's wise to have your next service "under your belt" so that you can relax and go with the pastoral flow. Someone may land up in hospital too, while the minister is on holiday- so in the old Guide adage ( or is it Brownies?)- BE PREPARED. This part- time business is tricky
a) Because you still live 3 hours drive away and most of your funeral/wedding admin stuff is there and b) Since you are normally up in Aberdeen WITHOUT the car ( so hubby can have it for early early morning shifts or late late returns) you decide to do pastoral visits further afield, up in Kingswells, while you HAVE the car...saving so much time than taking 2 or 3 buses. Actually, as I expected, Mannofield folks have been super at checking I have a lift to and from church on a Sunday when buses are fewer.

So thanks God for a busy happy week, the use of a car, and I mustn't forget, a chance to hug a retired Deacon called Ann Lundie, who was in Cafe Connect ( cafe attached to church) one afternoon. Old Deacons don't retire, they just.............................................finish the punch line. Again, in my experience, when we hear a tribute to a "Deac" who has died, always they will say."She/he retired  the first time, in 1973, then they went to X. When they retired the second time, they went over to Y church, and so on. I wonder how many times ( in the current shortage of ministers) I will retire!!?

No comments:

Post a Comment